Now Get InvestmentGuruIndia.com news on WhatsApp. Click Here To Know More
GODREJ CONSUMER PRODUCTS FY18
GCPL’s FY18 annual report highlights the subdued operating performance of its subsidiaries leading to a) lower consolidated revenue growth at 6% to INR98.4b (Standalone: revenue up 11% to INR52.6b) and EBITDA growth at 9% to INR20.7b (Standalone: EBITDA up 17% to INR13.3b), and b) high Cash Conversion Cycle (CCC) of consolidated entity at 29 days (FY17: 35) v/s standalone CCC at -30 days (FY17: -12 days) primarily due to increased working capital requirement in Africa. This has led to consolidated return ratios (ROCE of 17% and ROE of 25%) being significantly lower than standalone return ratios (ROCE of 67% and ROE of 68% - ex investments in subsidiaries). Despite an improvement in the Cash Conversion Cycle, OCF declined to INR15.7b (FY17: INR17.4b) due to increase in other current assets by INR2b. Acquisitions over the past few years had led to increased intangibles (including goodwill of INR47.2b) at INR72.5b, 116% of net worth. Interestingly, GCPL has changed its future growth rate (increased) and discount rate (reduced) estimates for impairment testing of goodwill.
* Subsidiaries performance remains muted :
Declining growth in Indonesia and Africa business’s failure to gather momentum led to muted revenue (subsidiaries’ derived) growth at 1% to INR45.8b (FY17: INR45.2b) and a 70bp decline in the EBITDA margins to 16%. Though EBITDA margins improved 100bp in Indonesia, it declined 240bp in Africa, USA & Middle East.
* Rising CCC in Africa dent operating cash flow :
Our analysis of subsidiaries’ cash flow highlights stretching CCC days at 98 (FY17: 87 days). Subsidiaries’ CCC, excluding the Indonesia business, stood significantly higher at 129 days (FY17: 113 days) which we believe, majorly on account of African business. Consolidated OCF declined by INR1.7b to INR15.7b due to increase in balance with Govt. authorities and other advances by ~INR1b respectively.
* Write back of earn-out liability pertaining to SON :
GCPL wrote back provision of INR1.9b (further INR1.9b in 2QFY19) pertaining to contingent consideration payable to the sellers of SON LLC on account of lower-than-expected performance. As part of the acquisition, GCPL was expected to pay INR8.6b after FY19, based on a multiple of future EBITDA.
* Intangibles high, impairment estimates changed :
Increased acquisition over the past few years has led to higher intangible assets at INR72.5b, 116% of net worth. Of this, goodwill (at INR47.2b) and brands (at INR21.3b) with indefinite life are not amortized but tested for impairment. During FY18, GCPL has revised its Pre-Tax discount rate downwards to 9.2-21.4% (16.8-26.5% since FY15) and its long-term growth rate upwards to 2-8.6% (2-3% since FY15), thereby leading to high recoverable value of Cash Generating Unit to which goodwill and brands are allocated.
Standalone performance impressive, subsidiaries continue to drag
* Consolidated revenue grew by 6% to INR98.4b (FY16: INR92.7b) and EBITDA increased by 8% to INR20.7b, primarily led by standalone operations while growth of subsidiaries was subdued.
* Consolidated PAT stood at INR16.3b (FY17: INR13.1b) aided by exceptional gain of INR1.8b primarily on write-back of earn out liability on acquisition of SON.
* Standalone revenue grew by 11% to INR52.6b primarily led by 9% volume growth. Reported EBITDA grew 17% to INR13.3b with margins expanding 140bp to 25%. Adjusted to inter-company business support charge, royalty and Technical fees, EBITDA grew 21.1% to INR13b from INR10.8b in FY17.
* Subsidiaries (derived) revenue growth stood at 1% to INR45.8b on account of de-growth in Indonesia market and EBITDA margins declined by 70bp to 16% primarily due to weak operating performance of the Africa business.
* Geographical analysis highlights :
(a) Indonesia business witnessed a turnover decline of 13%, while adjusted EBITDA margins expanded by 100bp, and (b) Africa business witnessed revenue growth of 10%, while adjusted EBITDA margins contracted by 240bp. We have considered turnover as reported in segmental reporting of annual report, while constant currency turnover may differ marginally
To Read Complete Report & Disclaimer Click Here
For More Motilal Oswal Securities Ltd Disclaimer http://www.motilaloswal.com/MOSLdisclaimer/disclaimer.html SEBI Registration number is INH000000412
Above views are of the author and not of the website kindly read disclaimer